The mountain bike is one of the most important parts of your cycling gear and accessories. There are hundreds of bikes available on the market today and they vary in price. However, the Cheapest Mountain Bikes To Get Started will ensure that you have a functional bike that offers you all the features you need without breaking the bank.
In the following article, we have identified some of the cheapest mountain bikes for getting started. While there are many cheap options on the market today, you must look for quality as well. While these bikes might not compete with some of the high-end bikes on the market, they should give you great value for your money.
|Frame Materials||Mountain Bike Type||Price||Rating|
|Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike||Steel/Aluminum||Hardtail||$$$||★★★★★|
|Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike||Aluminum||Hardtail||$$$||★★★★★|
|Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s Mountain Bike||Aluminum||Dual-Suspension||$$||★★★★★|
|Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike||Steel||Hardtail Fat Tire||$$||★★★★★|
|Royce Union RMT All-Terrain Mountain Bike||Aluminum||Hardtail||$$||★★★★★|
|Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike||Aluminum||Hardtail||$$||★★★★★|
|Mongoose Blackcomb Mountain Bike||Aluminum||Dual-Suspension||$$||★★★★★|
Cheapest Mountain Bikes To Get Started
In the subsequent buyer’s guide, we have isolated a few important features that you should keep in mind. However, these features are not always the same for every bike and they should give you an idea of what you need to look for. Before we dive into those features, here are some of the cheapest mountain bikes to get started:
Top Pick: Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike
The Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike is one of the most popular mountain bikes on the market today. The bike features 2 construction options and one can choose the steel version or the aircraft-grade aluminum version. There are also numerous forms of brakes and gear ratios to choose from.
One of the best features is the addition of the disc brakes and these brakes are durable and they offer the best stopping power. However, choosing the disc brake option will also increase the price of the bike slightly. It has 24-29-inch wheels, which makes the bike ideal for adults and younger teenagers breaking into the sport.
- Reliable Option: The bike is one of the most popular and has been around for many years for most beginners.
- Disc brakes: One of the top additions is the fact that you can choose disc brakes, which gives the bike more stopping power.
- Versatility: As mentioned, there are numerous different options you can choose from, which ensures that the bike remains versatile.
- Varies in the price: It is hard to determine how much the bike will cost you, as there are a few important choices you need to make.
Best Hardtail Mountain Bike: Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike
The hardtail mountain bike is one of the best options for climbers and as a beginner, you will be climbing the top trails to get started. The Schwinn Bonafide Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the best options and it features a lightweight aluminum frame. The bike has wide tires that are around 2.25-inches in width, which makes them more durable.
The 24-speed Shimano drivetrain is one of the standard drivetrains you will find in entry-level bikes. However, the EZ fire triggers will make shifting much easier, while the 29-inch tires make it a great bike for some of the larger riders. It is an affordable option, with numerous possibilities available to make any upgrades you need.
- Drivetrain: It has a standard drivetrain, but the shifters are much more sensitive and easier to use.
- Wide tires: The 2.25-inch tires are slightly wider than one would need and they make the bike more durable.
- Frame: Having an aluminum frame over a steel frame will make the bike lighter while ensuring decent durability.
- Finding Replacement Parts: One of the biggest downsides is finding the replacement parts and you might need to contact Schwinn directly.
Best Mountain Bike For Women: Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s Mountain Bike
While women can ride almost any mountain bike, having one that is ergonomically designed for you will make life that much easier. The Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s Mountain Bike is one of the top options on the market today. The bike features large 26-inch tires and the aircraft-grade aluminum frame will make it lightweight and easier to maneuver.
The bike features linear-pull brakes, which might not be the best brakes on the market today. However, they will offer decent stopping power to beginners and ensure that you can comfortably ride around town. The 21-speed drivetrain is from Shimano, which makes it reliable while ensuring comfortable shifting.
- Dual-Suspension: Having a dual-suspension bike means you have a functional suspension that will absorb a lot of shocks.
- Drivetrain: The 21-speed drivetrain is ideal for beginners, teaching you all the various shifting techniques.
- Price: Mongoose is one of the top brands and this is one of the best bikes, which we have included for the value it offers.
- Brake Malfunction: Unfortunately, there have been cases of the brakes malfunctioning in certain situations.
Best Fat Tire Mountain Bike: Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike
The fat tire mountain bike is often one for the specialists and you don’t often have to use these bikes when it comes to being a beginner. However, the Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike is one of the most useful. It is made from solid steel and features a large 26-inch tire, which should give you riding durability.
The bike might be heavier than some of the others, but it has more durability. It has some of the wider tires on the market today. The disc brakes tend to offer you better stopping power and will ensure that the heavier weight remains durable. The bike has 7-speeds that ensure you have more functionality when shifting gears.
- Fat Tire: The fat tire design will ensure that you have durability and it will make the bike resistant to punctures.
- Price: You don’t often find fat tire mountain bikes at such an affordable price. However, this is one of the most affordable mountain bikes.
- Drivetrain: The 7-speed drivetrain might not mean a lot. However, it is one of the best options when it comes to the basics.
- Weight: Unfortunately, the combination of fat tires and the steel frame means the bike tends to be a little heavier.
Best Beginner Mountain Bike: Royce Union RMT All-Terrain Mountain Bike
The Royce Union RMT All-Terrain Mountain Bike is one of the gems that we have found that barely anyone knows about. However, it is one of the cheaper bikes on the market today and features a 22-inch aluminum frame. The bike includes 21-speeds from the drivetrain, which makes it a versatile bike for different terrains.
One of the downsides is that the bike is not one of the most popular options and not a lot of information is available. However, you should be able to find replacement parts without too much hassle and ensure that the bike remains durable. It has linear-pull brakes, which are more than enough for beginners just starting out.
- Aluminum Frame: Compared to some of the top bikes, the aluminum frame is lightweight with durability.
- Options To Improve: As mentioned, it is a basic bike. However, there is tons of room for improvement when it comes to upgrades.
- Drivetrain: When looking at the cheapest mountain bikes to get started, the drivetrain is one of the main features and you have a versatile 21-speed option.
- Unknown Flaws: Since the bike is not as popular as many of the others, there might be unknown flaws.
Best Mountain Bike For Large Riders: Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike,
It is often hard to find a mountain bike as a large rider. However, the Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike is one of the more popular options on the market today. The bike is made from aircraft-grade aluminum and will ensure durability. It features a solid drivetrain and mechanical disc brakes for better stopping power.
With the 29-inch tires, it has some of the largest tires on the market today. The average 300-pounder looking to lose some weight can comfortably use the bike to shed a few pounds. While the bike has a 7-speed Shimano drivetrain, it still has a flaw. Unfortunately, you can only find the bike in one size, which might not fit everyone.
- Large tires: The large tires mean the bike can hold a lot of weight and accommodate some of the bigger riders.
- Disc brakes: The mechanical disc brakes tend to be reliable and will ensure that you have decent stopping power.
- Weight: Since the bike has aluminum features, and an aluminum frame, the weight is kept lower than usual.
- One Size: Unfortunately, the bike is only available in one size, which might not be ideal for everyone.
Best Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike: Mongoose Blackcomb Mountain Bike
If you are looking for a functional mountain bike that will make going downhill much easier, the Mongoose Blackcomb Mountain Bike is one of the best entry-level bikes on the market today. The bike features an aluminum frame, and it has a solid construction for durability. It features large 26-inch tires for more versatility.
One of the main features is the dual-suspension system. The dual-suspension means that you can have tons of versatility and the bike should effectively absorb most of the strain. Having additional mechanical disc brakes will ensure you have decent stopping power and the bike will not cost you an arm or a leg.
- Dual-Suspension: It is hard to find affordable dual-suspension mountain bikes with top-of-the-range features.
- Aluminum Frame: The aluminum frame will ensure that the bike is lightweight and easier to maneuver.
- Brakes: Having disc brakes ensures that you have good stopping power to keep you safe at higher speeds.
- Durability: One of the bad features is the reliability of the bike. The fork is one of the worst in terms of overall durability.
Key Features To Look For In The Cheapest Mountain Bikes To Get Started
Once you have all the features in one bike, and you don’t have to pay a fortune for the bike, you have a real bargain. While we have selected a couple of bargains for you to choose from, there are many more on the market today. Here are some of the key features that we have used in selecting the top options on the market:
One of the first decisions you will need to make is whether you need a hardtail or dual-suspension mountain bike. While both of these are functional, the dual-suspension mountain bike is better at absorbing shock. However, it has more drag, which makes the hardtail mountain bike better for the average climber and a beginner.
In the world of cycling, brakes are one of the parts that have rapidly evolved over the last couple of years. You must have decent brakes and while the cantilever brakes were popular, they are outdated. The mechanical disc brakes are the most affordable. However, those with a few extra bucks might consider the hydraulic disc brakes.
Finally, the drivetrain is important to give you versatility and with a functional drivetrain, you should be able to take on different terrains. The drivetrain allows you to adjust the effort you need to put in to achieve a certain pace. You must have the ability to adjust the pace to something you find more comfortable.
When selecting the cheapest mountain bikes to get started, you need to keep a few things in mind. These bikes are highly regarded among beginners, but they will become outdated much faster. However, if you are not sure about your life in the world of cycling, you can choose one of these bikes and upgrade it as needed.