As a mountain bike rider, safety is one of the most important things to keep in mind. Since there are tons of different safety features, we have broken them down and are looking at the best mountain bike knee pads. While there are many of them available, the following guide will help you find the best options.
As mentioned, there are many different options on the market today. However, not all of them are of the same quality and you often need to find a kneepad that is the most comfortable for your needs. We have isolated the top options, while also giving you a small buyer’s guide that will help you find the knee pads you need the most.
|Leatt Airflex Pro Knee Guard||Fabric/3D Gel||Slip-On||10.4-ounces||$$$||★★★★★|
|Troy Lee Designs Raid Knee Guard||Polyurethane/Neoprene||Slip-On||8-ounces||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Fox Racing Launch PRO D3O Knee Guard||Polyester/ Neoprene||Slip-On||7.03-ounces||$$$$||★★★★★|
|IXS Unisex Flow Evo+ Breathable Protective Knee Guard||Polymer/ Mesh||Slip-On||16-ounces||$$||★★★★★|
|Fox Head Men’s Launch D30 Knee Guard||Polyester/Neoprene||Slip-On||20-ounces||$$$||★★★★★|
|Demon Enduro Mountain Bike Knee Pads||Kevlar/ EVA Foam||Slip-On||10-ounces||$$||★★★★★|
Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads On The Market
Before we look at the key features, the top knee pads might be what you are looking for. We have decided to start with the top kneepads, which should ensure that you find the best options on the market today. Here is our list of the top knee pads currently on the market, including their special features.
Top Pick: Leatt Airflex Pro Knee Guard
There are many top brands when it comes to mountain bike kneepads. However, the Leatt Airflex Pro Knee Guard is one of the most durable on the market today. These kneepads are made from soft materials, but for the knee section, you have 3D gel. The gel will absorb most of the impact while keeping your knees safe.
The slip-on closure feature means that you don’t need to waste time when it comes to putting them on. Additionally, the kneepads will also hold their shape when you take them off due to the ergonomic design. Unfortunately, the kneepads are also some of the most expensive on the market today, which might discourage many buyers.
- Flexible: The kneepads are made from a flexible material, which ensures that it is comfortable and easy to slip on.
- Ergonomic: These kneepads will adapt to the shape of your legs and retain the shape when it is not worn.
- Gel Protection: In terms of protection, the gel should ensure that the kneepads offer decent protection.
- Price: The only downside is the price. Unfortunately, these are some of the most expensive kneepads on the list.
Best Kneepad For Flexibility: Troy Lee Designs Raid Knee Guard
In the world of kneepads, the brand Troy Lee is one of the top brands. Much like your top mountain bike brands, the Troy Lee Designs Raid Knee Guard is one of the most flexible options on the market today. In terms of safety, these kneepads also have a CE EN 1621-1 rating when it comes to safety. This alone should give you peace of mind.
One of the top reasons for including these kneepads is the overall design, which combines with the weight. At only 8-ounces, they are some of the lightest kneepads on the market today. However, since they are also one of the best brands, you can expect them to also be expensive. Even with the price, we would recommend them for the money.
- Safety Features: The kneepad has tons of padding that will ensure you remain safe when you take a few shots.
- Lightweight: At only 8-ounces, it is worth noting that these are some of the cheapest options on the market today.
- Flexible: Since there are not real hardened features in the pads, you can be sure that they are flexible and comfortable.
- Price: Once again, we have to mention the price, which is one of the most expensive options available.
Best Ergonomic Kneepads: Fox Racing Launch PRO D3O Knee Guard
Fox Racing is one of the leading brands when it comes to extreme sports. No matter which safety features you want, you are bound to find some of the Fox options. We have selected the Fox Racing Launch PRO D3O Knee Guard for the durability and the comfort that it offers. These kneepads also look stylish and durable.
The kneepads are made from a combination of neoprene and polyester. However, the neoprene features airprene, which is design to make the kneepads more breathable. This means that you will have to breathability when riding long distances. We also like the moisture-wicking, which will get rid of most sweat inside the pads.
- Breathable: These kneepads are breathable, which means you will get rid of sweat inside and cool down at the same time.
- Reliable Brand: While we don’t often give the brand all the credit, these kneepads are very durable and reliable.
- Stylish Design: Since they have all the Fox markings and quality, these kneepads look professional and stylish.
- Bulky: They are still lightweight, but the overall design is bulky, which might not be comfortable for all riders.
Best Unisex Kneepads: IXS Unisex Flow Evo+ Breathable Protective Knee Guard
Mountain bike knee pads are not designed only for men and with top mountain bikes now being made for women, it is ideal to find a kneepad that s comfortable for females. The IXS Unisex Flow Evo+ Breathable Protective Knee Guard is one of these kneepads that can be used by men or women and it offers a lot of comforts.
What makes these kneepads so special is the overall design of the kneepads. They are constructed from polymer for shock absorption, with the additional mesh being used as an overlay. The mesh should ensure that the kneepads are breathable, while also making them lightweight. Overall, it has decent protection.
- Unisex: These kneepads are great for men and women and with all the sizes, they should be ideal for kids as well.
- Breathable: These kneepads have mesh for the overlay, which means they have breathability as well.
- Ergonomic: Finally, the ergonomic design makes them fit your legs almost like a glove when needed.
- Sizes: Unfortunately, these kneepads are some of the smaller options and you might need a larger one.
Best Kneepad For Men: Fox Head Men’s Launch D30 Knee Guard
Sticking to the Fox brand, we have another one of their kneepads that can rival some of the top gear from other brands. The Fox Head Men’s Launch D30 Knee Guard is made of polyester, but once again, the perforated neoprene is the material that will make it comfortable and breathable. Having a breathable design will ensure that moisture is wicked away.
One of the main reasons that we have included it is the ergonomic fit. These kneepads have been pre-fitted to ensure that they will comfortably fit around your knees without any real issues. They are specifically designed for the width of a user’s leg. The EN1621-1 Level 1 CE Certification should give you peace of mind in terms of safety.
- Breathable: Much like the other top options, these kneepads are extremely breathable and should allow air to pass through.
- Safety: These kneepads have one of the top safety ratings that should give you peace of mind as a cyclist.
- Ergonomic: Due to the pre-fitted design, these kneepads will comfortably fit around the knee of any rider.
- Heavy: One of the downsides is the weight and these kneepads are more than 1-pound, which might hold you back.
Best Budget Kneepads: Demon Enduro Mountain Bike Knee Pads
As a beginner, you don’t need to spend all your budget on kneepads or gear. Much like the budget mountain bikes, you can also find budget mountain bike knee pads. The Demon Enduro Mountain Bike Knee Pads are made from EVA, with Kevlar being used for additional durability. The EVA should mold to the shape of your knees.
The anti-slip design means that even though you will need to slip these kneepads on, they won’ slip off your knees. However, the overall design is comfortable for almost any rider. One of the downsides is the breathability. Whilst using these kneepads, we noticed that they are not as breathable as many other brands.
- Budget: If you are strapped to a tight budget, these should be some of the most affordable on the market today.
- EVA Foam: The use of EVA foam means that the kneepads will mold to the shape of your knees and retain the shape.
- Comfortable: Overall, these are some of the most comfortable kneepads on the market today, which means you can use them for long distances.
- Durability: Unfortunately, they are not made to take too many shots and might have some damage after a few uses.
3 Key Features To Look For In Mountain Bike Knee Pads
By now, you should have an idea of the kneepads you might want. However, there are tons more available on the market today. This buyer’s guide should allow you to find the ones you need. These are some of the main features that we used in selecting the best mountain bike knee pads on the market today:
Since you will be wearing these kneepads most of the time, you will need something comfortable that can be worn for an extended period. The materials are very important, which means having polyester as a base should be comfortable. There are many more materials used for kneepads, but polyester seems the most comfortable.
The main reason for wearing kneepads is the safety they provide. You will find that these kneepads have some padding at the front of the knee. Once again, there are different forms of padding that one can choose from. However, EVA padding seems to be the most comfortable and will mold to the shape of your knees.
3. Safety Rating
As you might have noticed, we have placed some emphasis on the safety rating of these kneepads. The kneepads must offer you some level of safety. We recommend that you consider the CE rating. However, the mere thought of a CE rating should be enough to ensure that the kneepads are ideal for mountain bikes.
The best mountain bike knee pads are designed to give you some level of safety and comfort. You must find the ones you feel the most comfortable with. We believe that the 6 on this list should offer you more than enough protection and ensure that you have the safety features you need for a mountain bike expedition.