If you enjoy mountain biking, you probably already have all the gear and a great bike. However, clothing apparel is also one of the important parts of mountain biking. Clothing is designed to be lightweight and breathable while helping to protect the cyclist if they fall. The best mountain bike shorts will ensure that you have the perfect kit for your cycling journey.
You might have noticed from your shopping sprees that there are many different mountain bike shorts on the market. While all of them are similar, it comes down to the shorts that you like the most and feels the most comfortable wearing. We have done some research to help you find the best mountain bike shorts for your cycling journey.
|Fox Racing Men’s Titan Race Short||100% Nylon||$$$||★★★★★|
|Specialized Enduro Pro Short||Nylon (89%), Spandex (11%)||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Troy Lee Designs Skyline Short||Polyester (95%), Lycra (5%)||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Men’s Airmatic Short||Polyester (90%), Elastane (10%)||$$$||★★★★★|
|Adidas Men’s Alphaskin Sport Short Tights||Polyester (87%), Elastane (13%)||$$||★★★★★|
|Fox Racing Men’s Cycling Shorts||100% nylon||$$$$$||★★★★★|
Top 6 Mountain Bike Shorts On The Market
Before we look at the features and special additions that make these shorts stand out, we need to find the most comfortable shorts for your needs. We have selected some of the most comfortable options, with additional technology features. Now, you should be able to have an enjoyable experience with comfortable clothing:
Top Pick: Fox Racing Men’s Titan Race Short
When it comes to sporting accessories, Fox is one of the leading brands on the market. The Fox Racing Men’s Titan Race Short is made from 100% nylon. While this might seem like the shorts will be a bit warm, the design allows the shorts to absorb as much moisture as possible. It is also breathable for long racing stints.
Along the sides of the shorts, one will find padding. The padding is ergonomic and molded with foam to give you a comfortable fit. The multi-paneled design means that each part of the shorts will have its level of durability. Additionally, they are comfortable to wear when it comes to long days on the saddle and will offer some padding on the seat.
- Ventilated: One of the best parts of any short is the ventilation, which helps moisture to escape when riding.
- Durable: With the multi-panel design, each section of the shorts are durable and will ensure that you don’t tear them.
- Safety Padding: On most shorts, you won’t find any safety padding, but the padding is great for when one falls.
- Bulky: With the padding, it means the shorts have a bit more body and they might be bulky for many users.
Best Slim Fit Short: Specialized Enduro Pro
If you are looking for a comfortable short that offers you plenty of breathing room, the Specialized Enduro Pro Short will go well with your top mountain bike. These shorts are made from nylon, but spandex has been added for more stretchability. It features 2 pockets that can be used for storing some of your valuables.
The manufacturer lays a lot of claims on the use of VapoRise Technology. This allows the shorts to absorb as much moisture while wicking away most of the sweat. Laser perforations have been made along the sides of the shorts, which add to the ventilation. However, the slim fit is the most comfortable aspect of the shorts.
- Slim Fit: Since you need something tight, these shorts will offer you a comfortable fit when out on the bike.
- Ventilated: The perforated holes along the sides of the shorts allows it to wick away as much moisture as possible.
- Flexible: With the addition of spandex, these shorts are flexible and will enable you to have a comfortable fit.
- Price: Unfortunately, they tend to be expensive and Specialized is one of the leading mountain bike brands available.
Best Clean Fit MTB Shorts: Troy Lee Designs Skyline Short
If you have been following our articles, you will notice that Troy Lee Designs is one of the prominent brands. However, the Troy Lee Designs Skyline Short is one of the most comfortable shorts for mountain biking. The shorts are constructed from polyester and Lycra for a combination of durability and ventilation.
Aside from the ventilation holes, these shorts are waterproof, and when they get wet, they will do what any waterproof shorts do and dry out. The manufacturer has included 2 hand-sized pockets, which should be large enough for some of your important accessories. Unfortunately, it is still one of the expensive options.
- Pockets: Having pockets in your shorts is a great way to carry along all of your personal belongings without any issues.
- Polyester: The use of polyester means the shorts will dry out rapidly and wick away moisture when needed.
- Durable: While Lycra is not known for durability, it does add another layer of strength to shorts for when it gets damaged.
- Stretchable: One of the biggest downsides is that these shorts are not made to stretch, which could be frustrating to many riders.
Best Durable Shorts: Men’s Airmatic Short
The Men’s Airmatic Short is one of the unknown options on the list, but having seen some of the features, it stands to reason that it deserves a spot on the list. The shorts have been constructed from durable polyester. However, the additional elastane means that it is easy to stretch and should be comfortable for large riders.
Polyester is one of the best materials for those taking on muddy trails. Due to the composition of the material, it can absorb a ton of moisture and will wick away most of the sweat from the individual. These shorts feature 2 zippered pockets, which means that it should be comfortable to store some of your valuables when riding.
- Waterproof: The waterproof feature is one of the best features when it comes to bad weather.
- Zippered Pockets: While not everyone needs zippered pockets, it is a great addition to store your valuables.
- Durable: The elastane might allow the material to stretch, but it is still durable enough for long-term use.
- Tight Fit: If you want some breathing space in your shorts, these are a bit tight, which might not make it ideal for all riders.
Best MTB Tights: Adidas Men’s Alphaskin Sport Short Tights
If you are looking for something tight, you need to look at the top sports brand. Very few sports brands have the presence that Adidas has and the Adidas Men’s Alphaskin Sport Short Tights are versatile for almost every walk of life. These shorts are made from polyester and elastane, but they are very flexible and breathable.
Unfortunately, it does not have any pockets. However, the shorts are designed to work as tights and to give you a comfortable riding experience. A non-restrictive elastic band will make them comfortable and allow you to stretch the tights when needs. They are also affordable and versatile for many different sporting types.
- Lightweight: Due to the design of these shorts, they are very lightweight and comfortable to wear.
- Breathable: The shorts have a lot of breathabilities, which makes them ideal for long rides on hot summer days.
- Versatile: As mentioned, you can use these tights for almost any type of sporting event you enjoy.
- Durability: Unfortunately, these shorts lack some durability and they are not made for taking too many falls.
Best High-End MTB Shorts: Fox Racing Men’s Cycling Shorts
By now, you might have noticed that Fox is one of the top brands on the market today. We have done some research and found the Fox Racing Men’s Cycling Shorts as some of the most comfortable and durable MTB shorts on the market today. Made from almost 100% nylon, the shorts are very durable and have a stretching feature from the elastane.
On the sides of the shorts, you will have access to hand pockets, which have been designed to hold all your personal belongings. These pockets are all closed by a zipper, but they are large enough for mobile devices. Laser perforated holes are features along the sides of the shorts, which allows the user to have optimal ventilation.
- Durable: The use of nylon is great when it comes to having durability and making them last longer.
- Inner Lining: An inner liner is responsible for all the moisture, but it can be removed and washed when you are done.
- Pockets: The short features two pockets for your personal belongings and both have a zippered enclosure.
- Price: Unfortunately, these are some of the most expensive shorts currently on the market today.
3 Key Features To Look For When Buying The Best Mountain Bike Shorts
If you are used to finding the best products in the shopping centers, you might have an eye for quality. However, we have taken no risks and to find the best mountain bike shorts, we have done some in-depth research. Here are some of the important features that we used to determine which shorts are worthy of making it onto our list.
The most important part of any clothing item will be how comfortable it feels. While there are numerous different materials used for these shorts, every person will have their favorite. Nylon might be comfortable and soft. However, polyester is much better when it comes to absorbing water and wicking away sweat.
Durability is another important aspect to consider and it is important to ensure that these shorts remain durable. The material is again the key factor you need to consider before buying the most durable MTB shorts. Nylon is slightly more durable than polyester, but it lacks the same stretch features to make it fit comfortably.
Finally, you will probably spend long hours in the saddle, which means that sweat is common and you will be riddled with moisture. It is important to have something with ventilation. Perforated vents will ensure that moisture is wicked away and air can pass through. This means that the shorts are much more comfortable.
Cycling is a great way to get out of the house and have some fun. The best mountain bike shorts will ensure that you have a comfortable riding experience and make life much easier. However, you will need a top of the range mountain bike to go with it. These shorts should be the best currently on the market today.