Transporting your bike from location A to location B or simply having some fun when you go on a holiday is important if you love cycling. Most cars don’t have a hitch for the rack and you will need to come up with a different plan. The best bike roof racks will make it easier and allow you to transport your bike with almost every vehicle.
However, there are plenty of these racks on the market today and it can be hard for some people to find the right one. Fortunately, we have done some research to find the best bike roof racks. Now, you shouldn’t need to worry about anything when it comes to the roof racks. Our small buyer’s guide will let you know how we found them.
|Rack Materials||Bike Capacity||Does It Lock||Price||Rating|
|Yakima ForkLift Fork Mount Bike Carrier||Steel||1 Bike||Yes||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Rockymounts Tomahawk Upright Roof Bike Rack||Aluminum||1 Bike||Yes||$$$||★★★★★|
|Yakima HighRoad Upright Bike Mount||Steel||1 Bike||Yes||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Thule UpRide Fatbike Adapter||Steel||1 Bike||No||$||★★★★★|
|Swagman STANDARD Fork Mount Rooftop Bike Carrier||Aluminum||1 Bike||No||$$||★★★★★|
|Thule Sidearm Roofrack||Aluminum||1 Bike||Sold Separately||$$$||★★★★★|
|ROCK BROS Suction Cup Bike Rack||Aluminum/Rubber||1 Bike||No||$$$||★★★★★|
|Thule ProRide XT Roof Bike Rack||Aluminum||1 Bike||Sold Separately||$$$||★★★★★|
Top 8 Bike Roof Racks On The Market
If you like traveling, you might already know some of the important things to keep in mind when selecting the best bike roof rack. Before we look at how you can choose the right one, you might just want to buy a bike roof rack. Here are some of the best options that we have identified to make your life much easier.
Top Pick: Yakima ForkLift Fork Mount Bike Carrier
The Yakima ForkLift Fork Mount Bike Carrier is one of the top options on the market. It is designed with a front section that will mount to the tires of your bike. According to the manufacturer, it will fit almost every disc brake. Additionally, you will note that your frame of the bike does not come close to the unit, which makes it easy for expensive bikes.
The SKS lock system has been added to make sure that the unit is comfortable and it does not move. However, the lock mechanism will ensure that the unit is secure and when you have one of the best mountain bikes, you would want to keep it safe. This mountain bike carrier mounts with ease and will ensure peace of mind.
- Easy Setup: The unit does not take a lot of work to set up and the clamp system will reduce the need for tools.
- SKS Lock System: Having a solid lock system will ensure that your bike is secure on top of your car.
- Mounting: As mentioned, the unit will comfortably fit almost every mountain bike and you don’t need any add-ons.
- Expensive: Unfortunately, this is not one of the cheapest options on the market today and might be a bit expensive.
Best Single Bike Roof Rack: Rockymounts Tomahawk Upright Roof Bike Rack
The Rockymounts Tomahawk Upright Roof Bike Rack is similar to the previous unit. However, it is slightly larger than the previous unit. The unit will attach to the wheels of the bike, which reduces the need for you to worry about the bike being damaged. The rack will not touch any part of the bike and only mount to the front wheel.
One of the main features is that the unit is constructed from aluminum. The aluminum frame is slightly lighter, which will reduce the strain on your car and allow you to add heavier bikes. Regardless of your bike, you will be able to add a bike that ranges up to 29-inches. This makes it perfect for the top mountain bikes.
- Aluminum Design: The frame is made from aircraft-grade aluminum, which makes it one of the lightest options on the market.
- Fits all bikes: The rack should be comfortable for all bikes that range up to 29-inches and the smaller bikes of 20-inches.
- Does not touch the bike: The rack is also one of the top options that do not touch the bike and only mounts to the wheel.
- Rattles: One of the downsides is that the unit might often rattle and this can be frustrating for many people.
Best Roof Rack For Safety: Yakima HighRoad Upright Bike Mount
Safety is one of the most important things when it comes to your bike roof rack. You will need to make sure that the unit is safe and you are comfortable using it. The Yakima HighRoad Upright Bike Mount is a solid unit designed from steel. Once again, it only mounts to the tires of your bike, which should protect your frame.
The unit is one of the safest options and it features the same SKS lock system that we have seen with many Yakima racks. The unit does not take a lot of time to mount to your roof and it is stylish. The capacity might only be one, but this will be ideal for high-end bikes. We would highly recommend it for the quality.
- Reliable Brand: As you might have noticed, Yakima is one of the best brands when it comes to these high-end bike racks.
- SKS Lock: The SKS lock is one of the most useful tools that will make it possible for you to keep the bike secure.
- Protects the bike: As mentioned, it only attaches to the wheels of the bike and this removes the need to protect your bike.
- Expensive: Once again, the downside with this brand is the price and it is one of the most expensive brands available.
Best Fat Bike Roof Rack: Thule UpRide Fatbike Adapter
One of the biggest issues for many people is finding a roof rack for their fat bikes. The Thule UpRide Fatbike Adapter might not be the rack on its own, but it will mount to some of your traditional roof racks. The wide design of the rack means that it can comfortably accommodate some of the top fat mountain bikes.
Thule is one of the top brands on the market and the rack can accommodate tires of up to 5-inches. Additionally, you will also have additional ratchet straps and these straps will ensure the bike is held securely. Additionally, it does not have a locking mechanism and you will need to add the unit for yourself.
- Fat Bikes: The unit is specifically designed to accommodate fat bikes and make life easier when transporting them.
- Easy To Mount: While you will need a standard bike rack, the unit should be one of the easiest options to mount.
- Affordable: Since it is only an adapter, it is one of the cheapest options currently on the market today.
- Only An Adapter: The unit is only an adapter and this means that you don’t have an entire rack, even though it is very cheap.
Best Flat Bike Rack: Swagman STANDARD Fork Mount Rooftop Bike Carrier
The Swagman STANDARD Fork Mount Rooftop Bike Carrier is one of the most basic units on the market today. It has been constructed from aluminum and the unit easily mounts to a standard roof rack. Once mounted, it will easily connect to the fork of your wheel, but the unit should also be compatible with your disc brakes.
The downside is that you will need to remove the front wheel and this means that you need to find additional space for your wheel in your trunk. In terms of sizes, it will attach to forks with a width of around 3-inches. Keep in mind that it is also one of the cheaper options you can currently find on the market today.
- Aluminum Construction: The aluminum construction makes the unit lightweight, while easily attaching to your bike.
- Holds All Bikes: If you are willing to remove the front tire, you should fit almost every bike to the rack with ease.
- Price: It is one of the cheaper options on the market today and will cost almost a fraction of some of the others.
- No Front Wheel: Unfortunately, the unit does not attach to the front wheel and you will need to remove the front wheel.
Best Folding Roof Rack: Thule Sidearm Roofrack
If you don’t want the roof rack to take up a lot of space when not in use, you might need to choose the Thule Sidearm Roofrack. The unit folds to the side to keep it out of your way. However, once you are not using the unit, it will fold and you can use the rest of your roof rack and ensure that you have room for other features.
The unit will attach only to the wheels of your bike and this makes it much easier to set up the unit without having to worry about any damage. You have a cylinder lock that you can find. However, you will need to buy the storage rack separately. We would recommend it due to the quality of the rack and the bike safety.
- Reliable brand: Thule is one of the top brands on the market today and you can be sure to get some value for your money.
- Foldable: When you are not using the unit, you will be able to fold it and keep the unit out of your way.
- Fits Most Bikes: The unit will fit almost every bike and this will enable you to add your favorite mountain bikes.
- Lock Sold Separately: Unfortunately, you will need to spend a little more to buy the lock cylinder, which is sold separately.
Best Suction Cup Roof Rack: ROCK BROS Suction Cup Bike Rack
If you don’t want to create holes on your roof and you are looking for a rack that will easily mount to your roof, you might need to consider the ROCK BROS Suction Cup Bike Rack. The unit is made from aluminum and rubber. The rubber suction cups will make it possible to easily mount to your roof and be comfortable to set up.
The unit will easily mount your bikes, but you won’t be able to mount the wheel of the unit. You will need to remove the front wheel and the front wheel will need some additional storage in your car. However, it should fit almost any rear wheel. The unit does not damage the sides of the frame but could damage your fork.
- Easy Setup: The unit does not have any tough setup requirements and suction cups will make it much easier.
- Durable Construction: Since the unit is made of aluminum, it is lightweight and will be durable to use.
- Price: We also need to mention that it is one of the more affordable options on the market today.
- Needs To Remove Front Wheel: Unfortunately, you should not be able to mount the unit without removing the front wheel.
Best Thule Bike Rack: Thule ProRide XT Roof Bike Rack
As we have seen so far, Thule is one of the best brands on the market today. The Thule ProRide XT Roof Bike Rack is one of the more traditional options on the market today. The unit is made from durable aluminum and will be easy to set up. However, you will need to have a standard roof rack to ensure it is possible.
Compared to some of the other units, this one makes it possible for you to mount the bike even with the front wheel attached. You will have a basic cylinder lock that can be used to ensure that the unit will remain secure. However, Thule has built a reputation of selling some of these locks separately, but it is still worth it.
- Easy Setup: You don’t need to have a variety of tools when you are looking to set this unit up much faster.
- Holds The Front Wheel: Unlike with some of the other bike racks, you don’t need to remove the front wheel.
- Affordable: It is one of the cheaper full mounting units on the market today and will give you more value.
- Lock Sold Separately: Unfortunately, you will need to buy the lock separately and this could make it expensive.
How To Select the Best Bike Roof Racks
If you still haven’t found the best bike roof racks, we have isolated a couple of important features. These features will make it possible for you to find the top options on the market today. We have selected a couple of features and these features will ensure that you can find the right option to easily mount and sufficiently transport your bike.
One of the first things to keep in mind is the capacity of the rack. Most bike racks can only carry one bike on top of your roof. However, you will be able to buy two bike racks and mount them to your stand bike rack. Having two of them opens up the ability for you to mount more than one bike, this should be ideal for a couple.
Many people don’t have the tools to mount intricate systems. However, you will need to look at what is required for you to sufficiently mount the unit. Many inits simply connect to your standard roof rack. This will remove the need to have specialized tools for you to set up the unit when there are no tools.
Lastly, your bike needs to remain safe when you are traveling and you don’t need someone stealing your bike from the roof when you travel. While not all of these roof racks will have a lock mechanism, you should be able to find a couple of these separately. We recommend that you consider a lock mechanism to ensure security.
If you like to travel with your bike, you will need to consider the best bike roof racks. The roof racks make transportation easier and they will work when you don’t have a hitch or a truck. We would recommend all of these units.
The great thing is being able to travel and see new place to ride your bike. We hope this helps you on your journey and sets you up for some good rides.