Before you head out to tough trails, you must understand some of the basics of a mountain bike. While we will not delve into these basics, you can pick up a lot from the best mountain bikes under $500. These bikes are affordable and easy to choose while having limited features before upgrading to the bigger leagues. If you are in a hurry, the Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the best bikes to get you started.
In the following article, we have identified some of these cheaper bikes that could potentially help you in selecting the right bike for your needs. Since there are many options to choose from we have created a small buyer’s guide with some of the important features that we used for the selection process. Now you can also find the right bike for your needs.
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 Rated And Compared
|Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike||Full-Suspension||Aluminum||$$$|| |
|Huffy 26″ Nighthawk Men’s Mountain Bike||Hardtail||Steel||$$|| |
Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Ladies Mountain Bike
|Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike||Hardtail||Steel||$$$$|| |
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 on the Market
It takes time to choose the right bike, especially when you are indecisive. However, we have made some of these tough decisions for you. The following bikes have made the cut, passing some of the tests with the required features. If you are in the market for the best mountain bike under $500, the following list could aid you:
Top Pick: Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike
The Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the stronger bikes on the market today. It might be a bit expensive, but due to the dual suspension, you will have a lot more in terms of shock absorption. Additionally, the bike features dual disc brakes, which offer immense stopping power in all conditions.
The 21-speed drivetrain is excellent at helping you find the most comfortable selection of gears. Since it is designed by SRAM, you have a lot of durability and an effective method of moving from terrain to terrain. However, the bike is a bit more expensive, but definitely worth the price if you want a trail bike option.
- Aluminum Frame: The bike features a durable frame constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum, but also keeps the weight to a minimum.
- Solid Shifters: SRAM is one of the top designers of the drivetrain and will ensure an effective method of shifting gears.
- Dual Suspension: If you like trails, you might enjoy the dual suspension with two shocks to absorb most of the bumps.
- Price: The only downside is the price and you will notice that it tends to be one of the more expensive options available
Runner-Up: Huffy 26″ Nighthawk Men’s Mountain Bike
In the world of cycling, Huffy is a top brand. They have been around for almost 100-years and the Huffy 26″ Nighthawk Men’s Mountain Bike is one of their top options. It features an 18-speed drivetrain with quick-shifters for an elegant transition. Additionally, the bike is durable due to being constructed from solid steel.
The ATB saddle is one of the newest innovations from the brand, offering comfort to the rider. It works similarly to memory foam and will mold to the shape of your body while retaining the seat position. The only downside to the bike is the weight, but the hardtail design still makes climbing easier than most cheap bikes.
- Reliable Brand: Huffy has been in the sport for almost 100-years and has a massive reputation for quality.
- Large Bike: Due to having 26-inch wheels, the bike is perfect for larger riders, accommodating those in the 6-foot range.
- Affordable: One thing that has always made Huffy a top brand is the cheap prices. This bike is also very affordable
- Weight: Unfortunately, the frame is a bit heavy and you might run into a lot of drag when picking up speed.
Best Female Mountain Bike: Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Ladies Mountain Bike
The days of mountain biking being a male-only sport have dissipated. Nowadays, women are making strides in some of the big competitions. The Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Ladies Mountain Bike is a bike designed specifically for women. It features a low-profile frame made from solid steel, but the fork is aluminum.
Shimano is by far the leading provider of the derailleur, and they are prominently featured at competitions like the Tour De France. With this bike, you have a solid drivetrain and durable shifters to accompany you. The bike should hold well in all conditions and we would recommend it to the outdoor ladies.
- Ergonomic Design: As mentioned, the design of the bike is ergonomic and mostly dedicated to the female riders.
- Shifters: For this bike, you have access to Shimano for some of the best shifting technology available.
- Adjustable: While the standard bike might be 26-inches, you can adjust this depending on your height.
- Lacks durability: The only downside is the lack of durability. The low-profile frame might bend after falls.
Best Beginner Mountain Bike: Mongoose Ledge 2.1 Boys’ Mountain Bike
If you are just starting, you might need something smaller. The Mongoose Ledge 2.1 Boys’ Mountain Bike is one of the very best options on the market today. It is made with aluminum for the fork and the frame while giving you a hardtail design that makes climbing much easier. It also looks stylish to beginners.
Unfortunately, the bike is not without any flaws and you will notice that the sizes are mostly directed at children. As a kid, you will like the bike but might outgrow it rapidly. We have decided to include the bike for the price, and we recommend that children choose cycling from an early age if possible.
- Durable: For children, the bike tends to be extremely durable, giving you some great value for your money.
- No learning curve: While most bikes require you to learn the trade, this bike will enable you to start immediately.
- Lightweight: Since the bike is designed for children, it is also one of the lightest options on the market today.
- Won’t Last Long: Unfortunately, children might outgrow the bike quite rapidly as they age or improve.
Best High-End Bike: Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike
If you have the funds, you might want to consider choosing a bike that is a bit better. The Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike are one of the very best mountain bikes on the market today and it caters to both children and adults. The bike features adjustable wheel sizes and a solid hardtail design on the frame.
The steel frame can be a bit heavy for beginners, but it should inevitably be worth it as a beginner with many falling tendencies. However, it should also be noted that the larger sizes can be a bit expensive. We have included the bike for the durability and some of the special features it brings to the table. Even the professionals recommend it as one of the best mountain bikes.
- Multiple sizes: The bike is available in a variety of sizes that could accommodate anyone looking to improve.
- Multiple accessories: As a beginner, you might not need all the accessories, but they will be useful eventually.
- Solid frame: As mentioned, the bike is constructed from durable steel, which is capable of withstanding a lot of pressure.
- Price: It is one of those bikes that can easily stretch your budget to the limit due to the additional features.
Key Features to Consider When Choosing the Best Mountain Bikes under $500
Before doing the reviews, we mentioned that you need some insight into the products. Once you have a better understanding of the basic features, it will be much easier for you to choose the bike of your liking. The following features are what we consider the best to use for selecting your next beginner mountain bike:
As a beginner, it is not always easy to find a durable and lightweight bike. However, there are a few made from aircraft-grade aluminum that you can select. You are more likely to find solid steel frames, but if possible, the aluminum forks tend to lessen the weight load significantly. Depending on your needs, you will need to look at the frame.
If you are used to smaller bikes, you will find the many mountain bikes tend to be much larger. Additionally, you want larger tires that can absorb more stress from tracks and give you more durability. You must find a bike that is the right size for your needs, especially when taking on some tough trails.
One thing beginners often overlook is the drivetrain, but with a decent drivetrain, you can have more comfort when it comes to shifting. Shimano is one of the leading designers of the drivetrain. However, we also recommend SRAM for some of their top shifters. Shimano is a global sponsor of touring events.
We haven’t touched on the assembly aspect recently, but if you don’t have the tools to assemble the bike, you will need to take it to your local bike shop. Fortunately, many of the top brands will arrive partially assembled. With a bit of calling, you can even find some experts from the same brand to assist in the assembly process.
Some mountain bikes can cost you thousands of dollars on the market today. However, the Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 are affordable for the average beginner and they should give you many years of use. These bikes all come highly rated and we would love to see your thoughts on any of them we might have missed.