If you have your mountain bike and the perfect pedals, you might think that you are in the clear. However, it is not that simple, and often you will need the best shoes for mountain biking if you want the best performance. It is not that hard to find the right shoes, since comfort is one of the main features to consider.
In the following article, we will have a closer look at the top mountain bike shoes and allow you to find the right ones for your needs. The following shoes are considered comfortable and durable, while each working for the right pedal. With the right mountain bike shoes, you can have so much more fun and comfort when riding.
|S-Works Recon Mountain Bike Shoe||Synthetic Leather/Mesh||Clipless||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Giro Ventana Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoes||Rubber/ Injected Nylon||Clipless/Standard||$$$||★★★★★|
|Tommaso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike Shoe||Synthetic Leather/Mesh||2-bolt clipless||$||★★★★★|
|Shimano SH-ME5 Cycling Shoe||Synthetic Leather/Mesh||Clipless||$$||★★★★★|
|Giro Chamber II Cycling Shoe||Synthetic Leather/Mesh/Rubber||Flat||$||★★★★★|
|Scott MTB Team BOA Cycling Shoe||Leather/Mesh||Clip-in||$$$||★★★★★|
Best Shoes for Mountain Biking On The Market Today
Before we look at the intricate parts of the shoe that will give you comfort, we should have a look at the top shoes. The following options are highly regarded by many of the experts and any one of them is sure to give you value for your money. If you need a new set of mountain bike shoes, here are a few to consider.
Top Pick: S-Works Recon Mountain Bike Shoe
Much like their bikes, S-Works is one of the leading brands when it comes to quality bike accessories. The S-Works Recon Mountain Bike Shoe features an ergonomic design that comfortably sits around the base of your foot. The shoe is perfectly balanced and offers exceptional power transfer to the pedals when clipped in.
The shoe features a carbon plate to offer stability, but the synthetic leather combines with the mesh to give you a lightweight shoe with excellent breathability. Titanium alloy is present in the clip, which keeps it locked in place. However, it is one of the most expensive options on the market today, but we believe it is worth the price.
- Durable: The titanium alloy is one of the most durable components on the shoe for long-term riding.
- Breathable: Mesh is perfect for breathability and will keep the shoe light to allow air to pass through.
- Ergonomic: The shoe is constructed around the foot of the average person, making it ergonomic for most people.
- Expensive: The only downside is the price. Unfortunately, it is one of the most expensive options on the market.
Best Versatile Mountain Bike Shoe: Giro Ventana Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoes
If you want something cheaper, but still made from durable materials, you might want to consider the Giro Ventana Men’s Mountain Cycling Shoes. It is also durable and features a stainless steel plate to keep the shoe rigid. The injected nylon will retain its form to make the shoe comfortable and durable at all times.
A BOA dial has been fitted to the side of the shoe, which helps you when it comes to adjustments. If the shoe is too tight, you have 6 different dial selections to choose from. Since this can be done on the fly, you don’t need to stop when riding. It is a clip-in shoe that works with the top mountain bike pedals available.
- Adjustable: As mentioned, the BOA dial is great for adjusting the fit of the shoe and making it possible to find the right fit.
- Grip: Rubber is one of the softer compounds, which is introduced to make shoe stick to your pedals.
- Durable: The shoe tends to retain its form, which means you have ultimate comfort when riding.
- Ventilation: One of the biggest downsides is the lack of ventilation that you will need to deal with when using them.
Best Budget Mountain Bike Shoe: Tommaso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike Shoe
The top mountain bikes are expensive, but the best shoes can also be hard on your budget. However, the Tommaso Montagna 100 Men’s Mountain Bike Shoe is one of the cheaper options on the market today. The shoe is made from synthetic leather while featuring a mesh upper that allows it to be breathable.
The design is compatible with two-bolt pedals. However, it can also work with the standard one-bolt pedal. These cleats are affordable and they have a solid design with a fiberglass sole for more power. While it might be a lightweight shoe, the fiberglass is not the best material for durability in your shoes.
- Lightweight: It is one of the lightest options on the market today, making it ideal for all pedaling sports.
- Breathable: Once again, you have the mesh upper that will allow air to pass through and keep the shoe ventilated.
- Affordable: The main reason for selecting the shoe is the price. It is one of the cheapest options on the market today.
- Durability: The fiberglass sole might make it lightweight, but you will be trading off some durability.
Best Mountain Bike Shoe: Shimano SH-ME5 Cycling Shoe
Shimano is widely known for their drivetrains and giving you some of the most competitive accessories. However, the Shimano SH-ME5 Cycling Shoe is one of the best when looking for a rounded shoe. The shoe features a clipless design, which means you can use it on any standard mountain bike for the best possible riding experience.
As for the materials, we once again have the synthetic leather upper, which is combined with mesh as an overlay to give you some ventilation. The shoe has an ergonomic feel but will remain rigid for the most part. The BOA dial will also help you to find the right adjustments and improve your overall comfort.
- Adjustable: If you want a shoe that can be adjusted on the fly, you don’t need to look any further than this one.
- Clipless Design: It is frustrating to walk around with a clip the whole time, which makes this a versatile riding shoe.
- Rigid: It is hard to bend the shoe, which makes it rigid and great for better power transfer to the pedals.
- Wide Toe Box: You have a lot of room in the front of the shoe. However, this is frustrating for those with narrow feet.
Best Flat Mountain Bike Shoe: Giro Chamber II Cycling Shoe
When we think of a mountain bike shoe, we often look at some of the top options. However, you don’t need this if your pedals do not have a clip in section. The Giro Chamber II Cycling Shoe has a flat section below the shoe, which makes it ideal for flat pedals. The rubber outsole is sticky to ensure optimal grip to the pedals.
A basic shank forms part of the interior of the shoe and will ensure that it retains the rigidity you need for a comfortable ride. While it might not be the best mountain bike shoe for all the top pedals, it is comfortable. Many people consider this one of the best pedals for the top trail bike riders to consider.
- Lightweight: The shoe features a nylon shank, which decreases the weight and offers decent stability.
- Breathable: The mesh and leather combination will allow air to pass through the shoe and make it breathable.
- Affordable: Since it does not have any advanced features, it is one of the cheapest options on the market.
- No Clip: If you have clip-in pedals, this might not be the best shoe to help you take control of your bike.
Best BOA Mountain Bike Shoe: Scott MTB Team BOA Cycling Shoe
Making adjustments to your shoes on the fly is tedious in everyday life. However, it is even harder when on a mountain bike. The Scott MTB Team BOA Cycling Shoe features a durable leather upper and ventilation holes like many of the others. However, the BOA dial is great for adjustments on the fly when riding.
The shoe features a clipless construction and a rigid outer sole. The outer sole will comfortably slide around your feet, but it does not have anything special that makes it stand out. One thing we have noticed is the power transfer of the shoe. You should have optimal power transfer to the base of the shoe and your pedals.
- Rigid: The interior metal is great for keeping the shoe rigid. Instead of having to readjust the shoe, it remains locked in the set form.
- BOA Dial: Only the top shoes have a BOA dial, which allows the show to be adjusted whilst you are riding.
- Ventilated: The solid leather construction is great for durability, but your ventilated holes will make it breathable.
- Expensive: It might not be the most expensive shoe on the list, but it deserves a spot among the high-end options.
3 Key Features To Consider When Buying The Best Shoes For Mountain Biking
If you are looking to buy the best shoes for mountain biking, there are a couple of important features to keep in mind. The following features are worth looking into and they make these shoes stand out. Since there are many more shoes to choose from, we have added a small buyer’s guide to help you select the best shoes for mountain biking on the market today:
1. Shoe Type
Not all mountain bike shoes are the same. One of the first decisions you will need to make is to choose if you want a shoe that can clip into your pedals. This will only be of concern to you if your pedals have some form of clip-in feature. However, many flat shoes can be used with some of the entry-level pedals.
When it comes to mountain bike shoes, the materials are vital. Leather or synthetic leather is often the best for a durable shoe, while it can have a waterproof feature if you need one. However, ventilation is equally important and mesh will help to add some form of ventilation. If the shoe is ventilated, it keeps it from retaining moisture.
One of the biggest features to consider is the level of comfort that the shoe has to offer. It all comes down to the shape of the shoe and how it is built. The internal shank can be made from stainless steel or titanium for the high-end options. However, the nylon shank will keep it rigid without adding too much weight to the shoe.
The best shoes for mountain biking can help you enjoy your ride that much more. If you have a top mountain bike, you will notice how they complement one another. We would recommend all of the shoes on the list for the various purposes they have. Let us know in the comment section if we missed any of your favorites.