Mountain bike maintenance is one of the most important things you can do. When you want the best performance from your bike, you should ensure that it is in the best condition. The best mountain bike chain lube will ensure that your chain does not create any unnecessary friction. Your mountain bike should be performing on the best level.
There are different mountain bike chain lubrication and you must find the right one for your needs. However, you will need to do some research and testing to ensure that you find the right product. Fortunately, the following article will make it much easier for you to get the best possible mountain bike chain lube.
|Lubrication Type||Application Type||Price||Rating|
|Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube||Dry||Spray Application||$$||★★★★★|
|ProGold ProLink Chain Lube||Dry||Nozzle Application||$$||★★★★★|
|Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic Chain Lube||Wet||Pipette Application||$$$||★★★★★|
|Pedro’s Slick Wax Chain Lube||Dry||Nozzle Application||$$||★★★★★|
|Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube||Dry||Nozzle Application||$$||★★★★★|
|Finish Line Ceramic Wet Bicycle Chain Lube||Wet||Nozzle Application||$$||★★★★★|
|Tri-Flow TF0021060 Superior Lubricant Drip Bottle||Wet||Nozzle Application||$||★★★★★|
Top 7 Best Mountain Bike Chain Lubes
Before looking at some of the intricate features, we must look at which lubrication is the best for your bike. In the following section, we have selected a couple of the best products on the market today. This bike chain lubrication can be used on almost every mountain bike chain you might encounter.
Top Pick: Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube
The Muc-Off Dry Chain Lube is one of the first products that you need to look at. It is dry lubrication, with a wax-based design that will be easy for you to set up. There are PTFE additives that make it easy for you to apply and once you have applied the lubrication, it should be much easier for you to ride around town.
Instead of having to rub the lubrication on a cloth and clean the chain, you can use the spray setup that will make it possible to ensure you easily clean your bike chain. Much like the other lubrications on the list, you will notice that it works for most mountain bikes. It is great to keep dirt and grime from building up on the chain.
- Dry Lubrication: The dry lubrication setup makes it much easier to apply and you don’t need to get things dirty.
- Spray: Instead of having lubrication that will flow into the chain, the spray makes it possible to apply it where needed.
- PFTE Additives: The PFTE additives will make it great for long-term use and it should be great for sustained durability.
- Dust Can Stick: Unfortunately, when you ride directly after applying the product, dust might stick to it.
Best Mountain Bike Chain Lube: ProGold ProLink Chain Lube
If you want to clean your bike chain, you should consider looking at the ProGold ProLink Chain Lube. It is one of the best products when it comes to keeping the chain clean. However, one of the main benefits is the addition of cleaning the chain. The additives on the inside should shred some of the dirt and mud from the bike chain.
Once you have applied the product, you will notice that it does not get tacky. One of the downsides to having tacky lubrication oil is that it will allow dirt and mud to stick to the unit after you are done. Once it has been applied, it should also repel water. The benefit of repelling moisture is that you won’t have issues with corrosion.
- Corrosion Resistant: The setup of this product is that it will repel moisture and keep the bike from building up corrosion.
- Cleans The Chain: If you only get the lubrication, it should be mentioned that it is a great option to keep the chain clean.
- Does Not Get Tacky: One of the benefits is that it does not get tacky and since it does not get tacky, dirt does not stick.
- No Cons: This is one of the only products that does not have any cons that we could stress to keep in mind.
Best Wet Chain Lube: Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic Chain Lube
Wet chain lube is something that many people try to avoid. Due to the application, it might often create a massive mess and many people might be frustrated when it comes to cleaning it. However, the Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic Chain Lube is one of the best options for those situations that require tons of cleaning properties.
When looking at the ingredients, we have found that the product is made from 95% biodegradable ingredients. These ingredients should be great for your bike and the environment. Even if it might be a wet lube, it features a pipette that will make the application easier. We should mention that it is a little expensive.
- Biodegradable Ingredients: The benefits of the biodegradable ingredients means that it is not harmful to the environment.
- Removes Excess Dirt: The product is great for removing excessive dirt and it should be easy to use.
- Reliable Brand: Muc-Off is one of the top brands when it comes to bike chain lube and it should work for the best mountain bikes.
- Expensive: One of the downsides is that the product is a little expensive and this might not make it ideal for everyone.
Best Alcohol-Based Lube: Pedro’s Slick Wax Chain Lube
Pedro’s Slick Wax Chain Lube is one of the most unique options on the market. Much like some of the others, it is dry lubrication that should be easy to apply. While there is some alcohol in the lubrication, wax is the best product when you don’t want a mess. It means that the product should be applied with ease and it should not drip.
We like this lubrication because it will remove most of the grime and dirt on your bike chain. Plant-based ingredients have been used and these ingredients are safe for the environment. However, you would need the alcohol. Alcohol is the main product that will make it possible to remove all the hardened dirt.
- Alcohol-based: The product is alcohol-based and due to the addition of the alcohol, it will effectively clean.
- Plant-Based: Aside from the alcohol, most of the other ingredients are plant-based and safe for the environment.
- Dry-Base: The dry base setup means you don’t need to deal with any mess or spill that will occur when cleaning.
- Application: One of the downsides is that the product does not have the best application and using the nozzle can be hard.
Best Dry Wax Lube: Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube
Dry wax is the common ingredient for many of the dry lubrication products on the market today. We have selected the Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube as one of the top options on the market today. It features a basic squeeze bottle that can be used to apply the product, but the spray version is also available.
According to the manufacturer, the product can withstand up to 100-miles of riding, which makes it effective for long-term use. The wax is automatically dry, which means that dirt and grime do not retain some of the dirt. The dirt will be easy to wipe off. It is recommended for people who like to traverse off-road routes.
- Dry Wax: The dry wax allows the individual to apply the product without having to deal with a mess.
- Distance: As mentioned, the product will be effective for 100-miles, which is ideal for most situations.
- Affordable: When it comes to affordability, it is ideal for some of the beginners with top mountain bikes.
- Clumps: While the product is effective, it might often leave a couple of dry clumps when you apply too much.
Best Finish Line Wet Lube: Finish Line Ceramic Wet Bicycle Chain Lube
As you might have noticed, almost every brand has a variety of options for you to choose from. The Finish Line Ceramic Wet Bicycle Chain Lube is one of the top options on the market today. The product is made from high-end ingredients. However, it does not have any biodegradable ingredients to make it safer.
When you have a good mountain bike, it is important that you keep the unit clean and in the best condition to ensure the bike is safe. The microparticles will ensure that the grime and dirt are removed from the chain. According to the manufacturer, it is the most used chain lube currently on the market today.
- Popular: As mentioned, it is one of the best products on the market today and many people use it around the world.
- Easy To Apply: The product is wet, which means that it is one of the best products for beginners to apply.
- Affordable: Finally, when it comes to the price, you don’t need to worry too much due to the affordability.
- Makes A Mess: Unfortunately, the product tends to make a mess when you apply it and it has the nozzle application.
Best Budget Lubrication: Tri-Flow TF0021060 Superior Lubricant Drip Bottle
You don’t always need to pay a lot of money when it comes to the top lubrication products. The Tri-Flow TF0021060 Superior Lubricant Drip Bottle is one of the top budget products on the market today. It has very basic ingredients and while it might not be the very best, it will ensure that your chain remains lubricated.
The high-grade petroleum oils will ensure a smooth sliding for the chains. However, the downside is that the product is not biodegradable. According to the manufacturer, the product can clean some of your corroded bolts and nuts. We would highly recommend it for the value of the product and the price.
- Easy To Apply: Much like some of the other products, this is a top option for those with application issues.
- Cleans The Chain: Some of the ingredients in the product will ensure that your chain is also clean.
- Price: In terms of price, this is by far one of the best options for those on a very tight budget.
- Ingredients: The downside is that the product does not have the best ingredients and the petroleum oil is not safe for the environment.
What You Need To Look For When Buying The Best Mountain Bike Chain Lube
While you have seen some of the top products, many people might also wonder how we went about selecting these products. We have devised a list of special features that should allow you to see which features are the most important. Here are some of these features to help you select the best mountain bike chain lube:
One of the first things to look for in the application. Not every product is easy to apply and when you have a nozzle, you will need to drip it onto the chain. The process can be tedious, but you will have a lot of control. The control you have means you can reach special spots of grime and dirt that some people cannot reach.
Dry or Wet
Another important decision one needs to make is if you want a wet or dry lubrication type. The dry options are usually infused with dry wax. The wax will carefully be set up on the chain and ensure that the chain works. Additionally, wet lubrication will make a bit more of a mess, but it tends to reach more spots that dry lube cannot reach.
Finally, you will need to consider the ingredients and there are tons of different ingredients that people can choose from. Some of these ingredients are biodegradable and will be fine for the environment. However, stronger ingredients tend to work much better and it will all come down to personal preference.
When looking for the best mountain bike chain lube, you will need to put in a lot of work to ensure you get some value for your money. We have selected some of the top products available. We would also recommend that you have a schedule to ensure that you can apply it regularly to have the best possible performance.